Thursday, February 16, 2012

Life as a Metronome

Car Alarms.  Are actually more annoying in Russia than in the U.S..  "Why is that?", you may ask.  Well, the answer to that question is quite simple actually.  Because, they wake me up every morning without fail.  Not a single day here without the "sweet" serenade of a constant beeping from the streets below.  The one that has been going for the last 3 hours today actually kinda sounds like a bird... who swallowed a metronome!!... but a bird nevertheless. :)  Just trying to look at the bright side of life.
Speaking of metronomes that kinda reminds me of the class I teach!  Who want's a run through of Miss. Angela's Basic Reading Class? Anyone?  Anyone?  Awe, I thought so! :)
Well,  It starts off with ten minutes of Opening.  This is where the lil' tikes start pouring into my class one by one as I take their homework from the prior day, I give them a token for finishing that and give them their attractive lil' token bags that will collect many more red token friends throughout the course of my class as they speak correct English for me!  My main focus in Opening is to get the kids talking in English, help them feel comfortable, and to get the mood set for the rest of the class.  If opening goes well then the rest of class usually does too!  It's kinda like, "When Mom's Happy, Everyone's happy" right? :)
Then I go into my First SPE (Synchronized Play Episode)  Haha big words right there. To make that a little more simple to understand, an SPE is pretty much 30 minutes of play time.  Or at least that's what the kids Think! Mwahaha ;D.  I usually introduce a game to them, like Uno, Old Maid, Checkers, or Bingo.  Yesterday it was Jacks! What I do is explain EVERYTHING to them and have them repeat it back to me.  Here let me give you an example of some Dialogue you would partake in if you were one of my students...
"What is this Everyone?  It's a Jack.  What is this? It's a Jack.  What is this?"
"Jack!"
"Right.  It's a Jack."
"What is it?"
"A JACK."
"It's a Jack.  What is this?"
"It's a Jack!"
"Yes.  It's a Jack!"
Then I give whoever said, "It's a Jack" a token and keep with that dialogue until everyone of the kids says it correctly.
Lol sounds a little repetitive doesn't it?  Annoying.  Yes, that a bit too.  Try talking like that for four hours strait!  Good fun. Good Fun. :) This is all in attempt to have the kids speak English while interacting in a fun way.  It's amazing how well it works actually.
I also do reading, writing and spelling with my kids, a craft SPE, and a Story Time.  Then it finishes with Store where they get to buy a little prize with the tokens they received throughout class.
I love teaching.  It has been so much fun! These kids just grab onto your heart strings and make you melt.  While some moments they make you want to grab onto your hair and pull it out lol.  But that's not as prevalent, thank goodness... at least not in my class! :)
Well, it's time for me to go.
"Can Everyone say it's time for me to go?"
"It's time for you to go!" ;)

One of My Lessons!  Learning names of things, how to read them, and spell them while coloring their own Ocean Scene. So Much fun :)

Sveta, Liza, and Dasha.  Cutest Lil Girls!  My three who I have seen the most improvement in.  So, I kinda feel like a proud mother to these Cuties :)

Space Lesson!

And yesterday's lesson-Weather! In Light of a full day of Snow fall over here.

No comments: