Thursday, February 23, 2012

День защитника Отечества (Men's Day)

My blog post for today is in honor of the many amazing men in my life.  Today, Thursday February 23rd is Men's Day.  Kinda like Fathers day... but more like Men's Day! :)

A little history on this Russian holiday first though. More accurately known as Defender of the Fatherland Day (День защитника Отечества) it is a holiday observed in Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Ukraine and a couple other former republics of the Soviet Union.  This holiday marks February 23rd, 1918 when the first mass draft into the Red Army took place during the Russian Civil War. It was originally known as Red Army Day.  (Thanks Wiki for that wonderful insight!)  :)


So, now that this holiday has gone through many a name change (apparently haha) it has come to be Men's Day.  A day completely in honor to men.  I like it.  Pretty sure I'll keep this one up when I get home.

So, to the Men in my life I would like to start with my Dad.  He is amazing.  Simple as that.  I have been truly blessed to have the very best dad in the world!  He has taught me so many wonderful lessons and provided me my whole life with physical and spiritual strengthening.  What I think I have learned most from my father is to serve others as he is the most selfless person I know.  He has worked so hard to provide for our family, and that is where I have also learned the lesson of hard work.  I love my dad so much, I have come to have an even greater love for him the past year or so as I've seen many changes in mine and my families lives.  I love the concern he has for all of us and how he is truly interested in what is happening in all of our lives.   I know my Dad loves me and wants only the best for me.   He always has such wonderful advise and holds great concern for me and my life endeavors. Thanks for Everything Dad, and thanks for giving me your smile as it is one thing I always wear proudly! :)

Secondly, I am grateful for my Brothers.  Aaron and Sam- man they are the best!  I've grown up with these awesome dudes and it makes me pretty happy! :)  Both very different guys, both amazing in their own ways.  My brothers make me so happy.  Each of them makes me laugh hysterically and each knows how to make me smile!  Yes, of course sometimes they can be turds :)  But whatever, that's what little brothers are for right??  They used to be more Turdy actually.  It's amazing to see as we have grown up how much more we get along and really enjoy being with each other! I love that they're not afraid to say "I love you" to me in front of their friends or to give me a hug.  That has come with growing up for sure, as I know I couldn't have paid them to do that several years ago.  These guys are amazing, I love being able to learn from them.  I may be their older sister, but that doesn't mean I'm the only one teaching, I learn from them all the time.   Thanks you guys!! 


I would also like to say thank you to my Grandfathers.  Grandpa Brady and Grandpa Martin, the two of you raised some pretty amazing children to become my parents!  Thank you for that.  Also, thank you for your testimonies, both are very different but both are so full of years of learned wisdom and sincerity.  I love when you share your many childhood stories with me.  I could sit and listen to them for hours!!  I love you both so very much.  Thank you for everything you have ever done for my family!


I have many other men in my life who have greatly influenced me.  Fathers of Dear Friends (Jared and Kent) who have been there for me many a time and also taught me some great life lessons.  Dear Friends as well, Landon you are fantastic! :) Church leaders are definitely in this list including my Bishopric, Stake Presidency and up to our dear beloved Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson and the apostles who have also changed my life through their words and examples.


One other man very important to me will not be able to read this for several more months.  But I would like to honor him in this post as well.  Elder Keaton Hansen, my best friend and the love of my life.  I am truly blessed to know such a great man.  He has changed my life in more ways than I think he will ever know and that is truly through his example to me and his acceptance of me in every way.  He helps me be a better person and I am so grateful for that.  Keaton is one of the funniest, happiest, most sincere, and strong people I know.  I have been so blessed to have him in my life.  Thank you for what you have been doing for our Lord for the past 19 months, for serving with all your heart, might, mind, and strength. I love you.


And that leads to the the Men in my life who I am most grateful for and honored to have in my life in everything.  My Father in Heaven and his son, my brother, Jesus Christ.  They are my life, they are my joy, and they lead me in all that I do.  They are the best men anyone could ask for, as they are ever forgiving of me and my faults, and they will believe in me for all time and eternity.  I know that they know me better than anyone on this earth.  I strive to know them better day by day, hour by hour.  As they are my very best example and my true best friends, I know I can always depend upon them to be there for me and love me.  I love them.  So very much.


So, thank you to all the men in my life on this Men's Day.  I honor you.

No comments: